Surgery skillchips

I actually really really like this, though I will say that I prefer it to be a skill chip rather than gloves since that A- requires the HoP to actually alert the CMO when they add staff to the department B- prevents paramedics from just slapping on some gloves and not having the debuff success chance. Having chonky fingers not allow surgery is a really good idea too. Having it decrease the proficiency with surgery tools specifically would (hopefully) prevent unintended issues with ghetto surgery being significantly harder.

1 Like

I remember this back in 2020 when I started playing SS13 and there was always a guy in the morgue destroying corpses and then healing them. :rofl:

1 Like

I think this is a fantastic idea as it makes in game sense. However I also really like the idea of a surgical skill system, so Iā€™m a bit torn. Maybe the skill chip could affect success rate and skill could affect speed? Or maybe anything beyond basic tend wounds or organ manipulation are locked behind the medical skillchip

Itā€™s the opposite, skillchips are designed to make it easier for new transfers as they replace what would have been a jobā€™s innate irreplaceable trait instead of something the depā€™s head can hand over to people

I think the success chance skill chip is a better idea; however, I think itā€™d be pretty cool if patients had a chance to catch a random minor disease or infection wound if surgery is done without nitrile/latex/recently washed hands

do parameds also get this chip? we start with bone gel and to properly apply it you need to do surgery.

Absolutely not, parameds doing surgery are the worst offenders. However, this is something I overlooked since you do need to use a scalpel to fix hairline.

Applying bone gel/surgical tape would just stay 100%, I donā€™t see a reason to nerf it. I mainly just want to nerf the main ones: scalpels, saws, retracters, hemostats etc

2 Likes

yes, but the chonky fingers 100% failure would fuck over abductors.

abductors already have a special trait for surgery anyway, some coder magic can just make them have 100% success rate with something like that

1 Like

I had it fixed in the PR I did

the code checked if they were an abductor and didnā€™t give them the debuff if they were

1 Like

I donā€™t know about limiting it so that medbay are the only ones capable of doing surgeries without fail, since this would effectively decimate crews with low skill or under populated medbay staff since they would be the crews only real lifeline aside from the risk of RNG killing them. However the Idea is interesting and I think it would be cool if it was something medbay could make for higher end surgeries, such as the expert and mixed heal surgeries.

Iā€™ll say the same thing I said on the PR; I really think people get hyper focused on the ā€œfail chanceā€ and think itā€™s much worse than it actually is. When this was playtested, I would fail on average 1 step with regular surgery tools. When you fail a step, you repeat the step. On average it would add maybe 1 or two seconds to surgery time. Itā€™s really not that bad, you can still do surgery just fine without the chip you just slip up every once in a while (which is funny).

1 Like