Antag Rework Thread

EDIT: It’s clear that most people dislike these ideas, and upon considering it more myself, I feel that the current antag system works perfectly fine, and the solution to this problem is to add more interesting objectives (not download 30 research nodes). So, if I may, I’ll shift the thread to this: What are some issues or ideas you have to improve antags, either as a whole or individual ones?

The old post

Introduction:

Antag isn’t in an ideal place for Fulp right now. Currently, antags designed for TG don’t mesh very well with the Fulp antag policy and playerbase. Some people like high-action antag gameplay, others like to disable antags and just do their job in peace. The following are a list of potential solutions to this issue that would work well with policy, make Fulp more unique, and hopefully give everyone what they want.

Opt-in Antag Gameplay:

Antags/antag interaction would be an opt-in thing. If you decide you want to play antag, you are also deciding that you’re willing to be the target of their objectives. The main targets of most antags would be security, heads, silicons, and people who opt-in to play antag. Of course, rare antags meant to ruin things like nukie and wiz would be kept the same. This would allow new players/people who just want to do their jobs with no interruptions and learn the game to do so, and it would make antag players happy because they get more interesting objectives that actually have an effect.

Antag vs. Antag Gameplay:

Either more antags who kill each other (like IAA) would be added, or existing antags would be reworked to conflict with each other. The advantage of this is that antags get to engage in interesting PvP, which is what many antag players like to play antag for in the first place. However, this has the disadvantage of making it difficult/impossible for crew that like to deal with antags to do so.

Non-Combat Antags

Of course, one can’t neglect the wide appeal of playing an “antag” but being friendly to the crew. Thus, antags that don’t necessarily even involve PvP would be added. Devils, but without the “killing the entire station when enough souls are collected”, for instance. Or maybe black market merchants who sell helpful contraband and are on the run from sec. These roleplay-based antags would be welcome by even people who don’t actually like playing or interacting with antag because it’s just interesting, non-PvP content.

Conclusion:

These ideas are intended mainly for discussion purposes, and in this thread I hope to refine them and find new ones. I encourage discussion about the state of antags, possible issues with any of these changes, and ideas for new/different ones. Thank you for reading!

It’s clear that none of these fit the server, and most people would dislike them. To be perfectly honest, I kinda just spit some ideas into a paper that I thought might be interesting, so I’m going to shift the thread to that. What are some issues you see with certain antags now?

Introduction:

Antag isn’t in an ideal place for Fulp right now. Currently, antags designed for TG don’t mesh very well with the Fulp antag policy and playerbase. Some people like high-action antag gameplay, others like to disable antags and just do their job in peace. The following are a list of potential solutions to this issue that would work well with policy, make Fulp more unique, and hopefully give everyone what they want.

Opt-in Antag Gameplay:

Antags/antag interaction would be an opt-in thing. If you decide you want to play antag, you are also deciding that you’re willing to be the target of their objectives. The main targets of most antags would be security, heads, silicons, and people who opt-in to play antag. Of course, rare antags meant to ruin things like nukie and wiz would be kept the same. This would allow new players/people who just want to do their jobs with no interruptions and learn the game to do so, and it would make antag players happy because they get more interesting objectives that actually have an effect.

Antag vs. Antag Gameplay:

Either more antags who kill each other (like IAA) would be added, or existing antags would be reworked to conflict with each other. The advantage of this is that antags get to engage in interesting PvP, which is what many antag players like to play antag for in the first place. However, this has the disadvantage of making it difficult/impossible for crew that like to deal with antags to do so.

Non-Combat Antags

Of course, one can’t neglect the wide appeal of playing an “antag” but being friendly to the crew. Thus, antags that don’t necessarily even involve PvP would be added. Devils, but without the “killing the entire station when enough souls are collected”, for instance. Or maybe black market merchants who sell helpful contraband and are on the run from sec. These roleplay-based antags would be welcome by even people who don’t actually like playing or interacting with antag because it’s just interesting, non-PvP content.

Conclusion:

These ideas are intended mainly for discussion purposes, and in this thread I hope to refine them and find new ones. I encourage discussion about the state of antags, possible issues with any of these changes, and ideas for new/different ones. Thank you for reading!

How?

That’s untrue, Fulp’s antag policy is specifically writen around the antags, so it fits the antag.

Well that’s SS13, what can you do about it.

God no, we’re not [redacted] server, we dont have their rules, nor their RP level, we shouldn’t have their antag policy.

Because we already dont have a problem with Captain’s calling shuttles because they’re bored…

same point as above.

I dont like any of these suggestions, and I don’t see a problem with our antags in the first place. We have an antag policy designed around the antags we have, and those that we feel dont fit fulp are just not in rotation (families), with Space Law to fit, and even added Brig Doctors to help security, and Deputies to guard the departments.

This wasn’t the main issue with devil. The primary reason why they were so awful was that it was inherently a grey-area for self-antag. Sure, you have a captain’s ID and AA, but as a non-antag, you can’t really do much with that that isn’t also breaking server rules, and it’s sorta a weird place to say “hey yeah you made a deal with the devil, but you need to continue as normal”. If devil were to be brought back, there would need to be a lot more that’s changed than the round-ending ascension. Also, if anything, we’re leaning more toward giving antags more freedom and decreasing the protection of “friendly” antags

1 Like