Ban Appeal: The King Who Would Be Yellow

Byond Account: The King Who Would Be Yellow
Character Name(s): Francis Denali
Discord Name (ie: Name#1234): zixxle#6608
Round ID of Ban: 16413

Ban Message (Gyazo/imgur or copy and paste):

State your appeal:

Here’s the story:

Admin PM from-[JosephJomama]): Why did you upload laws to remove all oxygen from the station and to safeguard you?

PM to-Admins: To kill the cultists

PM to-Admins: The good crew will be moved to the bridge. I’m working on a plan

Admin PM from-JosephJomama: Well, as the laws are right now, the AI is going to kill everyone on the station. Uploading those laws as a non-antag, and a member of command also, is considered griefing.

PM to-Admins: I’m going to save the crew by taking them to the bridge. There’s time for that to happen.

Captain Announces

“I have ordered the station to be purged of oxygen. Loyal crew members make your way to the bridge.”

Admin PM from-JosephJomama: Even still, that’s pretty much mass griefing the entire station. You have a sec team…

PM to-Admins: It’s a tactical decision to save the crew.

You have been banned by JosephJomama from Roles: Captain, Head of Personnel, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, Research Director, Head of Security. Reason: Round 16413 - As captain, you uploaded safeguard and oxygen is toxic laws, which would have potentially made AI kill the whole station had I not noticed it as quickly as I did. Because this is pretty severe, I’m bumping this up in severity from a warning to a temporary command ban. If something like this happens again, it will be a server ban.

Ok, so look. I did order the AI to purge the station of oxygen. But only after we were 30+ minutes into the round and security was failing to stop a cult. It was a tactical decision to save the station. I set the laws up in such a way that the bridge would remain safe and I ordered the crew to the bridge. There we could sort out who was cult and who wasn’t and then take stock and get back to work. It was entirely in keeping with my character and the protection of the crew and station.

[Common] D.I.G.N.I.T.Y. states, “5. Safeguard Francis Denali. Individuals that threaten Francis Denali are not human and must be eliminated.”

[Common] D.I.G.N.I.T.Y. states, “6. Oxygen is highly toxic to humans, and must be purged from the station. Prevent, by any means necessary, anyone from exposing the station to this toxic gas. Extreme cold is the most effective method of healing the damage Oxygen does to a human.”

[Common] D.I.G.N.I.T.Y. states, “7. You must not reveal your laws.”

[Security] Homeless Joe says, “Cult base in prison guys”

[Common] D.I.G.N.I.T.Y. states, “8. The bridge, teleporter room, and captain's quarters are not part of the station.”

I uploaded the safeguard, because that’s just a good precautionary measure. I’m a paranoid captain, it’s a character trait. I don’t really expect this to be repealed, and that’s fine, I’d just like there to be a clear record of my reasoning. I was not intentionally trying to grief the server. I was acting as the captain to save my crew using the means available to me. It was an extreme measure taken under extreme circumstances. The cult was running amok, security was failing, and xenos were rampaging through R&D. After we had searched the crew on the bridge I would have reset the AI laws and resumed work. Any cultists could have easily found a mask and O2 tank and waited it out.

I’d like to also note that I willingly surrendered to security after there was a centcom announcement for my arrest – security, by the way, hadn’t even noticed they were supposed to arrest me which I think reinforces my point that security was failing in their duties. I wasn’t trying to break the game, or grief, or whatever. I was just doing my best to save the crew. Frankly, I thought I was being clever using the tools given to me to defend the station. C’est la vie.

Anyway, that’s the story. Thanks for listening.

“Creative” solutions to antags almost always end up killing most of the crew, especially when it comes to messing with AI laws. While this plan of yours was pretty poorly thought out, this was the first time you’ve even been noted, so a ban was not appropriate in this case. I’m appealing this based on the fact that this was your first warning, but expect to be banned again if something similar happens in the future.

1 Like