Why is it that any time someone criticizes the fulp admin team on discord or reddit they are banned?

Okay, I understand cases where people may leave some things out or be rude and use curses. However, lately, it seems like if someone expresses even the smallest amount of dislike towards certain admins, they face the risk of being banned. Sometimes I wonder, isn’t it normal for certain human beings to not like other human beings? I mean, I’m pretty sure some admins don’t like certain players in the fanbase or may even talk negatively about certain players behind closed doors. In reality, some admins might have been unnecessarily rude to certain players, and vice versa.

(Please don’t ban me; I’m just trying to better understand perspectives from both sides.)

Toxicity is bannable. It’s fine to voice distaste or even talk about not liking someone in private or wherever but if you go to a public forum and put one of our VOLUNTEER staff who spend their free time making this game you play for free playable on blast on a reddit hate thread, that is fucking shitty and toxic and we don’t want you in the community.

3 Likes

Also this goes for ANY player, not just staff. If I see you starting a reddit flame war on for any of us in the community, whether its on the subreddit, or in the discord, it’s the same thing. We don’t want you here.

3 Likes

If admins were elected officials with the job of representing players, public outcry is dope. But like Max said, these people are volunteers, working to keep a passion project running, that people have the privilege—not right—to participate in. There are a bunch of different servers, and each one is a distinct community, and by extension has distinct rules. One of the reason admins get a lot of shit is that “subjective” judgements about a person’s character and intentions are acceptable grounds for banning. What this really means is that admins choose to do something when someone says the n-word or “God hates f----ts” or whatever else. Instances like the n-word are obvious, but the real benefit is that this also allows admins to punish people who aren’t explicitly saying the n-word, but are still being racist. Most modern legal systems cannot punish anything like this because they are meant to represent and judge a body of people that is in large part racist, or has a large percentage of racist individuals. The advantage of a curated community like fulp is that you CAN administrate around stuff like this. Naturally, the people who are used to being assholes with impunity get up in arms about censorship when they say slurs and someone tells them to shut the fuck up or leave.

Don’t think of the server as a nation; think of as a house a bunch of people own together and let other people come and hang out in. Would you, as a host, working without pay for these strangers, tolerate someone who’s giving you shit? And trying to get everyone else in the house to join in? hell nah.