Felinids start with brain damage

sir you are aware these are pixel cat people, right?

i would love if they say owo uwu and nya they get brain damage act stupid get stupid plus they are literally just humans with tails and ears that like laser pointers

3 Likes

Im honestly with paps on this one, when I started playing felinid around Sep/Oct last year, back when id play with no admins for 90% of the time, id have people come toolbox me, trespass and grief the shit outta me just because ā€œcatboyā€ or ā€œfurryā€, I donā€™t care if you wanna add some weird self inflicted brain damage thing but if thereā€™s a way to grief me like a phobia etc I can almost guarantee you people will spam it until I leave.

3 Likes

if they get a disadvantage like this then it should either be self-inflicted (i.e. the idea of them getting brain damage when they say owo) or minor
sheets is right in that you shouldnā€™t just be able to exploit it to grief felinids for being felinids
and base roundstart brain damage is just ridiculous

2 Likes

mind you this isnt like round start phobias where you can die from panic attacks or beef men with there hallucinations i would be curious to hear how youd want to see cat people actually be different then humans that isnt just buffs i mean actual good and bad things cat people would have

Felinids already take significantly more ear damage, you get hit by a welding tank and bam, youre deaf for ~15 minutes through a bowman. You get hit by a flashbang without a bowman and youre deaf for another 5 minutes, its also not like moths where you can wear glasses to heal ear damage either, felinids have literally no positives (wound licking might be a thing but ive only ever done it accidentally when i was trying to kill someone). Adding a phobia to the entire race is dumb, having an assistant be able to cripple the entire medbay staff by simply saying ā€œweebā€ isnt a fun gameplay mechanic

2 Likes

Very well. Iā€™ll repost what I wrote about this elsewhere for the sake of completion.

The felinid forum thread just makes me sad. Overwhelmingly the worst moments of SS13 for me stick out as IC racism. Murdered and dismembered as a lizard by gangs of people who Iā€™m normally friends with, refused service at the bar and then shotgunned with slugs, force tied down and flashed until blinded as a perma moth, unequal pay for races back in the day, being set on fire on purpose so that my wings burn off, being repeatedly laser-pointered for no reason or harassed by borgs. It may seem quirky at first but if you actually play it you quickly realize itā€™s not quirky - itā€™s just oppressive. Does that make it a good representation of racism? Somewhat perhaps. Should players be encouraged to consider/add these features or roleplay in this way? Hell no. Just because I want variety in races or characters doesnā€™t mean I want to be table-slammed.

2 Likes

human (heads of staff, because theyā€™re the only people that get paid now) crew still make 25% more money than alien crew

Ear muffs heal ear damage just like glasses heal eye damage.

Something that I should have commented here earlier, since I assume no one is considering thisā€¦
Felinids, by lore, are clone defects. Itā€™s a IC reason that was given for why cloning technology stopped being used on the station. It transformed a mechanical change into something that adds some depth to a species that was basically a re skinned human before.

So if we get to consider fitting drawbacks to add to Felinids, drawbacks that are linked to their lore would be a lot more interesting than ā€œHaha cat, eat chocolate and die!!ā€ or ā€œHaha cat water spray into depression!!ā€.
Now for the people that played here while cloning existed you might remember that you had 3 main drawbacks to cloning, clone damage, random mutations and brain damage/traumas.

Iā€™m not going to enter the non mechanical side of this discussion because I simply donā€™t care about all this messā€¦ But brain damage and traumas are really fitting for Felinids in their lore, but it also steps on Beefman sadly so both would need to be unique kinds.

3 Likes

god damn it how many hours have I just accepting being deaf when EAR MUFFS fix it

same, but where do i get them

Medbay always has some, near surgery and in psych cabinet. Unsure if they can be made.

i want a mood de-buff for touching cat ears because that shit is weird as hell. also why are people taking this so seriously

1 Like

Autolathe

How about like the Clown/Mime pins we have Cat/Dog fans that get mood buffs/debuffs from petting Runtime, Ian, McGruff, and felinids?

Yo I have a better idea. Why not just start them as more genetically messy for genetics, you can insert less mutations into yourself because you already are a mutation.

2 Likes

have felinids start with cell damage

That might actually be interesting; maybe like a species quirk that makes them randomly take high levels of cell damage when exposed to radiation?

1 Like

thatā€™s fair. i donā€™t personally want a mood buff from touching cat ears because i think thatā€™s stupid, but if they put it in as a quirk Iā€™d be down for that.